I think I’ve known for a couple of months, but I didn’t want to admit it. Proto:87 isn’t going to work with The Industrial Lead layout. My initial tests were positive: I set up a simple test track with Peco flex track and a modified Peco turnout; I ran an SD40-2 and a car or two with Proto:87 wheels a dozen of times; then I launched into a hand laying frenzy.
When I got to actually having an operational track (http://www.gregamer.com/index.php/2013/11/05/hard-times-for-hand-laying/) it just didn’t work. Proto:87 just did not stick to the track. I ripped out my hand laid track and relaid it with Peco flex track and I switched to a four axle locomotive to see if I could make it work. It didn’t. The problem areas are the curves and any elevation changes.
It’s been over a year since I diverted to the Proto:87 experiment, and I think it’s time to move forward with the layout. It was fun experimenting and trying new things, but I’m losing patience and I’m pretty much losing my kids interest. It’s time to get this layout operational.